Short and Tall Tales | Tall
The War was over as soon as it had Begun
I started out with some short, simple cartoonish lyrics.
I had tunes in mind to go with the lyrics.
So I picked up instruments and learned to write crude musical notation, which didn't really convey the tunes.
So I started playing and recording the songs, so my intended tunes could be heard.
I started out as a lyricist, became a composer, then a performer, all the while still mainly thinking of myself as a cartoonish lyricist.
Over decades, some songs held up better than others. Lyrics about which I was so serious came to seem to me overly serious, subtle turns of phrase became what did I mean by thats.
Some tired old songs, I do my best to be serious and give them a good performance.
Other songs, I just can't bring myself to sing them.
This is one of those. It was intended as a kind of post-nuclear war lament and encouragement to rebuild. I was probably trying to do something like Jefferson Airplane's "Wooden Ships."
I may publish the lyrics, some day, at least to show how the chord notations are supposed to be paced, but for now, I'm just posting this page as a place-holder for the song.
You will all know what I do
1. C Bb F By the time I was caught in the trap C Am G It was already too late C Bb F By the time I discovered my error C Am G Too much had been done C Bb By the time I got out F C Am G The damage was pretty well total C Bb F By the time I convince you in words C He could have everyone. Am G Listen to me!
2. C Bb F If we all turn away pretty soon C Am G You will all know what I do C Bb F If we all just pretend we will have C Am G No more places to hide C Bb F If we all stop and think we can see C Am G What we were just isn't anymore C Bb F If we talk to each other we'll know C the Wizard has lied. Am G Why won't you listen to me?
Performed in Mindful Webworkshop #12, 2016 Oct 28.
It's a sine of the times
G I'm only half crazy Em The other half's fine C You'd half, too, be crazy D With a life like mine. G I'm off on a tangent Em Where do I cosine? C This song is half there G Like this line
What makes America great
1. F Big dead cadavers rotissin' in the winda Bb7 Ten-point buck tied onto the fenda F Got drunk and shot off muh toe on a benda C7 But don't take my bullets and beef
2. F Bullets & Beef, Bullets & Beef Bb7 I suppose they mighta caused a little bit o' grief F But its a free country & ya better believe C7 I'll be guardin' my freezer with my shotgun
3. F Bullets & Beef, Bullets & Beef Bb7 I gotta warnin' for the po-tential thief F I gotta itchy trigger finger, it'd be a relief t' me C7 T' finally say that I shot one!
4. F (You'd be) One more cadaver rotissin' in my winda Bb7 Ten points for Commies tied onto the fenda F Give it to me raw or burn it to a cinder C7 Just don't take muh bullets & beef!
5. F Bullets & Beef, Bullets & Beef Bb7 Don't need no heroin, cocaine, or reef' F I want a pistol-packin' President commander-in-chief C7 Won't but a ballot in the box if he's not one!
6. F Big dead cadavers rotatin' in my belly Bb7 Breathin' sweatin' fartin' eatin' flesh can make yuh smelly F Pull the trigger on the bottle and blow my brains to jelly C7 Just don't take muh bullets and beef!
F Bullets & Beef, Bullets & Beef (fade)
Battling the urge to run the red
A G This light just takes forever D A and never seems to change A G I've been sitting here for weeks D A And don't you think it's strange A G Since I got here the snow has gone D A and now there's fresh green grass A G I've been here so long three times D A I've had to go for gas